Importance | Electrical Engineering
List of importance for Second year | Sem 5 and Sem 6
1. PLCC protection
2. Explain construction and working of air circuit beaker.
3. Explain working principle of induction type of relays .Explain IDMT characteristics
4. Derive an expression for the resistance to be provided between the neutral and earth of an alternator.
5. Explain time grading and current grading used in protection system.
6. What do you understand by protected zone and overlapping of protection zone in power system.
7. Explain the working principle of an electromagnetic relay.
8. Types of isolator , role and their range.
9. What are the different types of fuse available. Explain the constructional detail of HRC fuse with its advantages over other types.
10. Explain the working principle of directional overcurrent protection along with their types and application.
11. Explain the working principle of Bucholz realy showing its location and justify why it cannot be used in dry type transformer.
12. Short note on RRC fuse.
13. Explain REF protection for alternator .How 100% winding is protected in an alternator.
14. Explain properties of SF6 gas that make it suitable for arc quenching.
15. Why there is need for 3 types of distance relays ? Explain each one along with their application .
16. Explain directional comparison and phase comparison method of carrier current protection. Write its application.
17. Where and why isolators, contactors and circuit breaker are used in power system.
18. Explain different types of breaker in detail.
1. Scott connection , excitation phenomenon , mechanical stress in 3 phase transformer.
2. Draw and explain scott connection of transformer ,mark the teriminal and turn ration and what are the applications of soft connection.
3. Derive torque equation for 3 –phase induction motor and hence explain torque speed characteristics in motoring gone.
4. Short note on Oscillation Neural.
5. Crawling of induction motor with example.
6. Draw and explain the torque –speed characteristics in induction motor.
7. Explain the double field revolving for a single phase induction motor.
8. Working , principle of three phase induction motor
9. Explain star –delta starter for 3 phase induction motor .derive the expression for starting current and starting torque.
10. Sums om 3 phase transformer , induction motor , different tests in star connected induction motor
11. Discuss V/F control method of speed control
12. What is switching inrush current? Explain switching phenomena in 3-phase transformer.
13. Explain Capacitor start induction motor and capacitor run induction motor.
14. Induction generator.
15. Explain shaded pole and split phase in induction motor.
16. State the condition and need of parallel operations of 3-phase transformer .
17. State different methods of speed control of induction motor and explain any 1 detail.
18. Similarity between transformer and induction motor.
19. Double cage induction motor .
20. Develop equivalent circuit for a single phase induction motor
21. Explain connection and phasor diagram of Dy11 and Yy6 transformer.
22. Explain the need of parallel operation and its necessary conditions.
23. Numerical based on 3 phase transformers
24. Numerical based on 3 phase star connected.
1. ‘Magnetic field has non – existence of monopole ’.Justify the statement.
2. Explain the Maxwell’s equation in the time and frequency domain.
3. Derive Poison’s and Laplace equation .(along with a sum of potential field )
4. State the Maxwell’s equation for time varying fields in integral and point forms .Explain the physical significance of each equation.
5. Sums on field vector and Maxwell’s equations
6. Derive wave equation and explain changes in wave with different media
7. Derive relationship between electric field and potential or electric field and electric intensity.
8. Application of electrostatic fields
9. Sums on magnetic field ,flux density , Ampere’s circuital law ,wave propagation in lossless and lossy dielectric components ,divergence theorem, magnetic field , permeability an inductance, magnetic flux
10. What is an electric dipole? Derive the expression of E(bar) and v due to the electric pole?
11. Discuss the phenomenon of polarization in dielectric medium. Also discuss how it gives rise to bond charge densities.
12. Obtain tan expression for magnetic vector potential in the region surrounding infinitely long straight filamentary current ‘I’.
13. Derive relationship between electric field and electric intensity.
14. Explain the concept of potential gradient.
15. Express the vector in Cartesian co-ordinate system.
16. What is Lorentz force equation for a moving charge? Enlist two application.
17. Classify and explain different types of current densities.
18. Define and explain divergence and curl, electric potential.
19. Derive magnetic filed intensity due to finite and infinite plane.
1. Working principle of Matrix converter
2. Dynamic characteristics of SCR with wave forms.
3. Commutation circuits of SCR.
4. Snubber circuit of SCR.
5. Comparison of fully controlled and half controlled full wave rectifier with R-L Load.
6. Explain the principle , working , characteristics of enhancement type power MOSFET.
7. What are the types of Switching characteristics of SCR? Draw the turn OFF characteristics of SCR and explain.
8. Compare the properties of BJT , power MOSFET and IGBT.
9. Working , circuit diagram principle and wave form of three phase bridge inverter for different conduction modes (1200 or 1800 modes may vary)
10. Sums of single phase full wave controlled bridge rectifiers, bridge converters ,buck converter
11. What is fire angle ? its range? How to extend the range?
12. Advantages and disadvantages of current source inverter over voltage source inverter.
13. Explain the relevant circuit diagram and waveform the working of a single phase bidirectional phase control type AC voltage controllers to R and obtain the a relationship between the r.m.s output voltage and R.M.S input voltage .
14. Derive the expression for rms output voltage of bidirectional ac voltage controller .Compare the bidirectional ac voltage controller with unidirectional.
15. Draw the V-I characteristics of a TRIAC and explain different operating regions? What are the application of TRIAC.
16. What is the Working ,principle of single phase PWM rectifier?
17. Any method to control the magnitude –frequency of the output voltage of the single phase inverter.
18. Working of single phase cyclo converter in detail with circuit diagram and waveform
19. Concept of space vector modulation.
20. Numerical based on buck converter and boost converter.
1. State and prove the sampling theorem.
2. Short note on Shannon- hartly theorem.
3. Pre-emphasis and De-emphasis and its requirement in FM.
4. Explain the need for modulation in a communication system.
5. Explain with neat block diagram the working of super heterodyne AM receiver.
6. Explain the circuit of Foster Seely Discriminator with the help of a neat circuit diagram.
7. Define : Entropy , information rate, Channel capacity ,sampling theorem, quantization noise.
8. State and prove the properties of Fourier transform.
9. Short note on Quantization process, Huffman code ,linear black –code, telemetry
10. Sketch the block diagram of PCM system with compander and explain its working.
11. For given bit sequence draw ASK, FSK, PSK, ,waveform showing carrier waveform also.
12. Sums on linear modulation , encoder, cyclic code, huffman’s code, side bands.
13. What is balanced modulator? Draw the BPSK transmitter and receiver with the help of neat waveform.
14. Explain the delta modulation transmitter and receiver with the help on neat diagram .What is slope overload and hunting error
15. Explain the block diagram of digital communication system.
16. Explain how FSK can be generated using ASK.
17. Various types of modulation
18. Explain Optical fiber communication.
19. Distinguish between Analog and digital communication.
20. Numerical based on parity check matrix / received code vector,
- Discuss the term transient.
- Discuss the corona QV diagram.
- Discuss the short circuit of synchronous machine at no load condition.
- Discuss the short circuit of synchronous machine at loaded condition.
- Discuss the Z bus formulation technique.
- Discuss the reflection and reflection of voltage and current wave on a short circuit transmission line.
- Discuss the surge protection of rotation machine and transformer.
- Discuss the term Protective characteristics, Dynamics voltage rise, arrester rating.
- Discuss the terms Critical Voltage, Visual Critical Voltage and Corona Ring.
- Discuss the effect of length and load power on reactive power requirement of line.
- Discuss the transients on transmission line.
- Derive the equation for fault current for LLG fault. OR
- Derive the equation for fault current for LG fault. OR
- Derive the equation for fault current for LL fault.
- What the role of tower footing resistance.
- What are the advantage or disadvantage of corona.
- What is power invariance in unsymmetrical fault analysis.
- What is the electrical length of line.
- What are the difference between symmetrical and unsymmetrical fault.
- Discuss the importance of insulation coordinator.
- Discuss the importance of short circuit studies in power system.
- Discuss the term maximum power transfer capability of a line.
- Discuss the equation for fault current for LG fault. OR
- Discuss the equation for fault current for LL fault.
- Discuss the sequence network of transmitter. OR
- Discuss the sequence network of transmission line.
- Discuss the various factors to be considered while constructing the sequence network of power system.
- Discuss the maximum power transfer and stability consideration in transmission line.
- Discuss the effect of length and power factor on performance of line.
- Discuss the phenomenon of capacitance switching OR
- Discuss the phenomenon of Arcing ground. OR
- Discuss the phenomenon of Phenomenon lightning. OR
- Transient due to removal of short circuit.
- Discuss the phenomenon of travelling wave on case of termination of line as open circuit.
- Explain the term with reference to corona disruptive critical voltage visual critical voltage power loss.
- Explain the terms protective characteristics, dynamic voltage rise and rating in case of lightning arrestor.
- Numerical based on Symmetrical components of current. OR Surge impedance OR Current fault. OR Sequence network.
EM - III
- Starting of synchronous motor against high torque.
- Ideal synchronous machine
- Synchronous motor is not self-starting. Why?
- Synchronizing power and synchronizing torque.
- Hunting, causes, effects and remedies,
- synchronous condenser.
- Slip state
- Explain in brief hunting in synchronous motor.
- Explain in brief steady state analysis of synchronous machine. OR
- Explain in brief steady state analysis of Induction machine.
- Explain the principle of operation of the synchronous motor and draw phase diagram of salient pole synchronous motor for lagging & leading power factor.
- Explain the terms, direct-axis synchronous reactance & quadrature-axis synchronous reactance of a salient pole alternator and hence describe the slip test method for the measurement of Xd and Xq of synchronous machine.
- Explain the effect of changing excitation on output power of the alternator connected to infinite bus.
- Explain excitation circle and power circle in synchronous motor.
- Explain with neat diagram power circle & ‘O’ curve of synchronous motor.
- Explain armature reaction in a synchronous machine.
- Explain synchronous motor starting methods.
- Explain the effect of change in excitation on two alternators connected in parallel operating under loaded condition.
- Explain the effect of distribution of winding & use of short pitch coil on the magnitude of generated voltage of an alternator & hence give expression for distribution factor & coil span filter.
- Explain the principle of operation of a 3 phase synchronous motor.
- Explain the effect of changing excitation on alternator connected to infinite bus.
- Draw and explain the primitive representation of Induction machine.
- Draw alternator phasor diagram for lagging power. How one can distinguish whether phasor diagram is for an alternator synchronous motor?
- Derive EMF equation of alternator for full pitched and concentrated windings.
- Derive an expression for power developed in salient pole machine acting as generator. What are the components of power?
- Derive coil span factor, breadth factor and the induced EMF equation of a synchronous generator.
- Derive synchronous machine voltage equation in d, q, 0 variable by the use of coupled circuit theory and Park’s transformation.
- Derive the conditions or maximum power input and maximum power output of synchronous generator.
- Numerical based on synchronous machine Inductances.
- Numerical based on Power factor control. OR Maximum power/load conditions OR Salient Pole.
- Numerical based on Star or Delta connected
CS - I
Q. Draw or sketch
- State space model.
- State model.
- Root locus.
- Single Block.
- Block diagram reduction technique.
- Magnitude and phase angle.
- Stability of system Nyquist.
- Unity feedback system.
- Routh-Hurwitz criterion.
- Mason's gain formula
- Time response of second order system.
- Transfer function of DC servo motor and frequency response performance.
- Relation between time response and frequency response performance criteria.
- Define ‘Stability’, ‘Unstability’ and ‘Marginal stability’ which respect to pole position.
- Use Mason's gain formula to obtain the transfer function for the given system represented in the block diagram.
- State the difference between open loop system and closed loop system.
- Compare translation system with rotational system.
- How to convert a system represented in state space to transfer function.
- Explain the first element zero and compare row zero condition in routh stability criteria.
- Explain Nyquist criteria for stability.
- Explain the advantages of state space approach over conventional approaches.
- Explain working of AC servo meter.
- Explain transient response specification.
- Explain how Type with system affects the steady state error of the system.
- Derive the expression to obtain transfer function from state space.
- Draw the block diagram of closed loop linear time invariant system and define its components.
- With the help of polar plot explain the effect of adding more poles.
- Matrix keyboard and seven LED interfacing.
- ADC interfacing with microcontroller.
- Stepper motor interfacing. With microcontroller
- Compare microcontroller or microprocessor.
- Draw and explain the simple IO device interface (switches and LEDs) with PIC microcontroller and hence explain IO addressing.
- How the baud rate for serial communication is decided? Explain TXSTA and RCSTA registers use in serial communication.
- Write the difference between interrupt and polling.
- Write a short note on assembler directivities.
- What are the different interrupts sources?
- What is meant by assembler directive, explain any three.
- What is interrupt and polling.
- What is global Interrupt Enable (GIE) and PEripheral Interrupt Enable (PEIE) concept with appropriate logical diagram. Also explain INTCON register.
- List the general features of PIC 18 internally supported peripherals.
- Which are the different addressing modes of PIC18 microcontroller?
- What is the signification of STATUS register in PIC 18F.
- Explain parallel port structure of PIC 18F. OR
- Explain addressing mode of PIC 18F. OR
- Explain pipeline concept used in PIC 18F. OR
- Explain memory organization of PIC 18F. OR
- Explain rotate and branch instruction of PIC 18F.
- Explain different registers of PIC 18F associated with serial communication.
- Explain the different instruction format used in PIC18F microcontroller.
- Explain briefly the architecture of PIC microcontroller.
- Explain the principle/Pipeline feature of PIC architecture.
- Explain the CCP module in PIC microcontroller.
- Explain in detail the LCD interfacing with PIC18 OR PIC microcontroller.
- Explain what step is taken by microcontroller when interrupts occur and also explain how interrupt service routine is executed.
- Explain watch dog timer.
- Explain the concept to copy the data between program memory and Data memory. In view of this, explain any Four instructions associated with this process.
- WAP in assembly language multiply or divide. OR
- WAP in assembly language count maximum numbers. OR
- WAP in assembly language Interface keyboard of PIC 18 OR
- WAP in assembly language Motor control using PIC 18
- WAp on a square wave. OR
- WAP in C18 using Timer0. OR
- WAP on Pin RD7 (SW).
- Differentiate between Project and Operation.
- Describe the role of a project manager in a project?
- Describe risk management and how it is applies to project?
- Describe the various contents of a project report.
- Describe the activity “Resource Allocation and Resource Levelling”
- Compare PERT and CPM techniques.
- Write note on PM software.
- Write a note on Cash flow.
- How the Project material planning is done, Explain.
- How the human resource planning is done for projects? What are the different types of project organization.
- With the help of suitable example explain Work Breakdown Structure.
- With a neat sketch explain life cycle of a project.
- Enlist various project management software and state their significance.
- Enlist different types of Project organization. Explain one in detail.
- Enlist the steps to conduct a market analysis? OR
- Explain Market-Basket analysis in detail with one example.
- What aspects are to be considered for project closure.
- What are the most important aspects playing a vital role during project implementation phase? Explain each aspect briefly.
- What are the different types of contracts? What aspects are considered for awarding a contract?
- What is the difference between market and demand? How a market and Demand feasibility is done.
- Explain sensitivity analysis in projects.
- Explain the importance of team coordination in a project.
- Explain the PBP method of Financial analysis.
- Explain SWOT analysis with the help of suitable example.
- Explain SCBA and UNIDO approach of social appraisal of a project.
- Explain different steps involved in Risk Management of a project.
- Explain different types of contracts between buyer and seller.
- Explain IRR method of probability projection with a example.
- Numerical based on PCB OR
- Numerical based on IPO OR
- Numerical based on Network diagram
- Explain the high frequency method of heat transfer along with its applications.
- Explain the laws of illumination and its application.
- Explain the working principle of fluorescent lamps. What are the different types and sizes available in the market.
- Explain the working principle of Memory Vapour Lamp and mention its application.
- Define and explain briefly the luminous intensity, intensity of illumination, co-efficient of utilization and its application.
- What are the factor which affecting the schedule speed?
- What are the requirements of ideal traction.
- What is polar curve? Why it is required in illumination. Explain the working principle of integrating sphere photometer.
- Write the advantage of ac traction over dc traction system.
- Write a short note on overhead equipment used for electric traction.
- With neat diagrams, explain Reflection, Diffusion and Absorption type light control with examples for each type.
- With a neat diagrams, explain the working principle of Incandescent lamps write its advantages and disadvantages
- Derive an expression for the maximum speed Vm in terms of Distance D, Time of run, α and β for trapezoidal speed time curve.
- Derive an expression for the specific energy consumption from first principles (tractive effort required and tractive effort produced.
- Analyzed quaderital speed time characteristics and Derive an expression for the distance in terms of V1, V2, T, α and β.
- Draw and explain vapour compression and vapour absorption cycles, Compare their features.
- Draw and explain the speed control methods of DC motors.
- Draw and explain the vapour compression and vapor absorption type refrigeration cycle. Compare the features in terms of energy efficiency and applications.
- Compare the features of different types of traction.
- Compare the features of electric vehicles and hybrid electric vehicles. Draw and show the series, parallel and series-parallel configuration of hybrid vehicles.
- Discuss the bridge transition and shunt transition method of speed control of motors. State the advantages of one cover the other.
- Numerical based on Lightning system. OR
- Numerical based on Adhesive weight OR
- Numerical based on Energy consumption. OR
- Numerical based on DC/AC motor.