Bh.Questionbanks | Civil
Brainheaters Questionbanks (Semester Exam) is the collection of handpicked set of questions which are mostly repeated, important and recommended. Learning this set of questions can easily help you top or even just clear the exams. Given below are Expected Questionbanks for semester. To get the solutions to this questions just simply click the Notes and you will be redirected to our notes, Bh.Notes holds your answers. (All Notes are Not Available) !!
1. Define the following: (i) Core (ii) Era (iii) Engineering Geology (iv) Exfoliation
2. Write Short notes on: (i) Geological properties of building stones. (ii) Crag and Trail (iii) Causes of mass movement. (iv) Chemical weathering?
3. Draw a neat sketch of the following: (i) Pedestal/mushroom rock (ii) Asthenosphere and lithosphere
4. Explain following in brief: (i) Various types of plate boundaries. (iii) Use of seismic waves in understanding the interior of the Earth.
5. Describe 1) The types and importance of weathering with examples. 2) Various landforms created by glaciers. 3) Erosional features of river and wind. 4) Two land for ch created by erosive action of wind and glaciers. 5) Internal structure of Earth.
6. Write the name of S shaped river
7. Explain the geological action of wind with landforms.
8. Name the Water present in the pore spaces of rock beneath the earth surface.
1. Define the following: (i) Rudaceousrock (ii) Cleavage (iii) Basic rock (iv) Metamorphic agents (v) Delta (vi) Cross bedding (vii) Erosion (viii) Dyke
2. Name the following rocks or minerals with the help of given properties: (Given any Minerals)
3. Write the name of the following features: (i) Basin Shaped igneous intrusion (ii) Sedimentary rocks in between lava flows (iii) Boundary between crust and mantle (iv) A texture of rock where all the constituent grains are of equal size (v) The type of metamorphism where pressure plays the dominant role
4. Write Short notes on: (i) Cataclastic structure (ii) Porphyritic texture (iii) Laccolith and batholith. (iv) Water bearing qualities of rock.
5. Draw a neat sketch of the following: (i) Dyke (ii) Alluvial Fan (iii) Isolated water table held by small extension of impervious rock within previous tract. (iv) The structure with bands of minerals alternate with granular minerals. (v) Hanging valley (vi) Alluvial Fan
6. Describe 1) Various textures of igneous rocks. 2) Various agents of metamorphism.
7. Differentiate between (i) Fracture and cleavage (ii) Thermal and Dynamic Metamorphism
8. Give structure and texture of Igneous rocks with suitable example.
9. Explain the various structures of secondary rocks with diagrams. OR What do you mean by acidic and basic rock?
10. How sedimentary rocks are formed, describe any two structures of these rocks.
11. Name the parent rock of marble and quartzite.
1. Define the following: (i) Natural and mechanical joints (ii) Dip and strike (iii) Hade
2. Write the name of the features of Valley made by normal fault
3. Differentiate between (i) Overturned and recumbent fold (ii) Angular unconformity and Nonconformity (iii) Strike and streak (iv) Anticline and syncline (v) Parallel and step fault (vi) Nonconformity and disconformity (vii) Fold axis and axial plane of fold
4. Write Short notes on Order of superposition
5. Draw a neat sketch of the following: (i) Box fold (ii) Columnar joint (iii) Core between normal and inverted the horizontal axis (iv) Group of synclines and anticlines with parallel axes. (v) Two normal faults forming wedge shaped block mountain.
6. Describe the causes and various types of folds with diagrams.
7. What are joints? Explain different types of joints in igneous rocks OR How are columnar and mural joints are formed?
8. Write the lithology and classification of Deccan trap.
9. What are faults ? Give a brief account of various types of Faults in the rocks.
10. State the terminologies of fault. Explain various types of faults with suitable diagrams. OR Give classification of fault. What are the engineering considerations of fault at the site of constructions?
11. Explain concentric fold and similar fold.
12. Explain the importance of core recovery and RQD. Calculate the same from the given data and mention your opinion. Run is 3 meters. (Given Table)
13. What are the different type of folds.
14. What is stratigraphy? Explain laws of stratigraphy.
1. State the importance of geological structures during the construction of dam.
2. Describe the seismic method of geophysical investigation.
3. What are the various forces acting on a dam? Explain suitability of various rocks as foundation on dam site.
4. Write Short notes on: 1) Core recovery, 2) RQD and drill water.
1. Write Short notes on: (i) Solifluction and creep (ii) Influent and effluent stream.
2. Differentiate between any Five of the following: (i) Confined and unconfined aquifer
3. Describe 1) The favourable and unfavourable geological structures while choosing the alignment of tunnel. 2) The zones of groundwater.
4. Define Cone of Depression.
5. Write the name of the features of Cone Shaped water table
6. Discuss about zones of groundwater, water bearing properties of rocks and factors controlling the movement of water in rocks
7. What is an aquifer Explain necessary condition for artesian aquifer.
1. Define the following: (i) Talus slope (ii) Epicentre (iii) Focus (iv) Seismograph
2. Write Short notes on: 1) Ropy and blocky lava, 2) Richter scale. 3) Various causes of landslide? 4) Volcanoes and volcanic products?
3. Differentiate between i) Central eruption and Fissure eruption ii) Central and fissure type eruption.
4. Mention the precautionary measures in earthquake prone areas during construction of building.
5. Name The depression at the mouth of volcano.
6. Explain following in brief Various products erupted during volcanic activities.
1. Write a note on Capillarity and Surface Tension.
2. What is the difference between dynamic viscosity and kinematic viscosity? State their Units of measurement.
3. Explain surface tension & obtain the expression between surface tension and pressure inside the liquid droplet in excess of outside pressure.
4. Write the Numerical for Find the dynamic viscosity of the oil.
5. Write the Numerical for Calculate the tension in soap fill.
6. Define the fluid properties (1) Density. (2) Specific volume. Also give its SI Unit.
1. Explain Stability conditions for floating bodies. OR What are the conditions of equilibrium of a floating body and submerged body?
2. Enlist Mechanical Pressure Gauges and explain any one.
3. Explain the procedure of finding hydrostatic forces on curved surfaces.
4. Write the Numerical for Find the gauge pressure and absolute pressure. Find the pressure at the lower end.
5. State & Prove Pascal’s Law.
6. Write the Numerical for Determine the difference in pressures at the two points.
7. Write the Numerical for Find the difference of pressure measured by mercury as fluid filling U-tube. Mercury level.
8. What is the difference between Sluice gate and Lock gate?
9. Write the Numerical for Find the Total pressure and depth of centre of pressure.
10. Determine the metacentric height. (Given any Numerical)
11. Derive the expression for Metacentric Height.
1. Write the Numerical for Cylindrical vessel.
2. Define the terms: Velocity potential function; and Stream function.
3. Write the Numerical for Determine the discharge passing between streamlines passing through these points.
4. Define the equation of continuity. Obtain an expression for continuity equation for a three dimensional flow.
5. Determine also the value of stream function at that point?
1. Explain Source, Sink and Doublet OR define the strength of doublet.
2. Sketch the flow pattern of an ideal fluid flow passed past a cylinder with circulations.
3. Explain flow past a Rankine Oval Body.
4. Write short notes on Ideal fluid, Newtonian fluid, Non-Newtonian fluid, Ideal Plastic fluid and Thixotropic fluid.
1. Derive Bernoulli's equation from Euler's equation.
2. Write the Numerical for The loss of energy head in the flow through … If the coefficient of discharge.
3. Write the Numerical for Find (a) the head of water over the orifice (b) the diameter of the jet (c) coefficient of velocity.
4. Describe with a help of sketch the construction and use of pitot static cube.
5. Explain Rotameter and Pitot tube.
6. Write the Numerical for Determine the deflection of the cil mercury gauge, if the discharge of the oil.
7. Derive the equation for discharge through Orifice Meter.
8. Explain the principle of venturi meter with a neat sketch. Derive the expression For the rate of flow of fluid through it.
1. Write the Numerical for Cipoletti weir with a crest given Find the discharge.
2. A cylindrical buoy of (Given any value). Show that it cannot float vertically in water.
3. Explain the classification of orifices and mouthpieces based on their shape, size and Sharpness?
4. Derive the expression for discharge over a rectangular weir in terms of head of water over the crest of the weir.
5. Explain Hydraulic coefficients.
6. Write the Numerical for Determine the loss of head and direction of flow.
7. What do you understand by velocity of approach? Find an expression for the Discharge over a rectangular weir with velocity approach.
8. Write the Numerical for Find the maximum discharge.
9. What is the difference between a notch and weir?
10. Derive the expression for maximum discharge over broad crested weir.
1. Write the Numerical for Evaluate the integral using Laplace transform.
2. Write the Numerical for Construct corresponding orthogonal set.
3. Write the Numerical for Find Laplace transform of the periodic function.
4. Write the Numerical for Solve the Laplace equation given for the following data by successive iterations.
5. Write the Numerical for Using convolution theorem find the inverse Laplace transform.
6. Write the Numerical for Solve Exact Differential Equation.
1. Write the Numerical for Determine the analytic function whose real part.
2. Write the Numerical for State Cauchy Riemann equation in polar form.
3. Write the Numerical for Mapping.
4. Write the Numerical for Milne- Thomson method to determine analytic function, when it’s real or imaginary or its combination is given.
1. Write the Numerical for Line integral of a function of a complex variable.
2. Write the Numerical for Using Residue theorem.
3. Write the Numerical for Cauchy’s theorem for analytic functions(without proof) Cauchy’s integral formula (without proof)
1. Write the Numerical for Find complex forms of fourier series.
2. Write the Numerical for Find half range sine series.
3. Write the Numerical for Find fourier expansion.
4. Write the Numerical for Parsvel’s identities (without proof)
1. Write the Numerical for Using Bender schmidt method.
2. Write the Numerical for Solve by Crank-nicolson simplified formula.
3. Write the Numerical for Determine the solution of one dimensional heat equation.
1. Write the Numerical for Show that the functions transform the straight line in the z-plane into Circles in the w-plane.
2. Write the Numerical for Lines of regression.
3. Write the Numerical for Find the coefficient of correlation.
1. Draw stress strain curve for ductile and brittle material also Explain factor of safety with the help of stress strain diagram of both.
2. Write the Numerical for Determine the maximum weight W that can be supported by two wires.
3. Write the Numerical for Calculate the thrust exerted by the bar on clamps.
4. Write the Numerical for Determine the elongation, change in diameter & change in volume of the rod. Also, find the bulk modulus.
5. Write the Numerical for Results were obtained in a tension test on a Mild Steel specimen of Gauge Length.
6. Write the Numerical for Find the maximum load the beam can carry if the compressive and tensile stress not to be exceed.
1. Establish the relationship between shear force, bending moment and rate of loading in beam.
2. Derive the relationship between the loading(w), Shear Force(F) & Bending Moment(M).
3. Write the Numerical for Cantilever beam of solid circular section.
4. Write the Numerical for Find the changes in the dimensions of the block and also the change in volume.
5. Write the Numerical for Draw SFD and BMD showing all the important points.
6. Write the Numerical for Find slope and deflection equation for the beam as shown in figure. Determine the deflection at a point where couple.
7. Write the Numerical for Calculate total decrease in length of the bar.
8. Write the Numerical for Draw the shear force and bending moment diagram for the beam loaded.
1. Derive the expression for strain energy due to gradually applied axial load.
2. Write the Numerical for Find the total strain energy of the bar when it is subjected to an axial pull.
3. Write a note on flitched beams, with neat sketches.
4. Derive an expression for the strain energy due to suddenly applied loads.
5. Explain with the help of neat sketch concept of equivalent section use in flitched beam.
6. Write the Numerical for Find the moment of resistance by using transformed area concept.
1. Write the Numerical for Rectangular cross section of beam, show that the maximum shear stress. Also draw shear stress distribution diagram.
2. State Torsion Formula and explain the terms involved in it. Give assumptions in the analysis of pure Torsion.
3. Write the Numerical for Determine the maximum shear stress at a section
4. Write the Numerical for Find maximum shear stress developed in the section and draw shear stress distribution diagram.
5. Write the Numerical for Draw typical Shear Stress Distribution diagrams for the symmetrical I section.
6. Write the Numerical for Sketch Shear Stress Distribution across the section.
7. Write the Numerical for Draw the shear stress distribution diagram.
8. Write the Numerical for Determine the diameter of shaft.
1. What are the assumptions of Euler's column buckling theory?
2. Calculate the diameter of beam required.
3. Write the Numerical for Find the safe load the column can carry. use Euler’s formula.
4. Derive the expression for strain energy due to gradually applied axial load.
5. Write the Numerical for Find Euler’s crippling load for hollow cylindrical. Determine Rankine’s crippling load for the same column.
6. Write the Numerical for Determine the maximum & minimum stresses at the base of the dam (section m-n). Draw the Stress Distribution Diagram at the Dam base.
7. What was the shortcoming of the Euler's Column Failure theory? Write Rankine's Column Crippling theory, indicating the meaning of each term.
1. Define Hoop stress and Longitudinal stress in thin cylinder. Derive their formula.
2. Write the Numerical for Find also the maximum shear stress & change in dimensions.
3. Calculate change in dimension of shell.
4. Write the Numerical for Find the normal, tangential and resultant stress at a plane inclined given to the major principal plane.
5. Write the Numerical for Find the change in the dimensions of the bar & the change in volume.
6. Write the Numerical for Find the temperature stress produced, when the expansion of the rod is fully prevented.
1. Define Surveying, Types of surveying and Classify Surveying on the basis of the purpose of the survey.
2. Define: a) Chainage b) Backsight c) Intermediate sight d) Change point
3. (Given Numerical)If the chain was correct before commencement of the work, Find the true Distance.
4. Write down the pre of Indirect ranging with a suitable sketch.
5. Explain tie line, check line, base line and main survey line with neat sketch.
1. Surveyor’s compass and Prismatic compass.
2. Differentiate between Whole circle bearing (WCB) and Reduced bearing system. If θ is the WCB, what would be the reduced bearing in all four quadrants?
3. Compare i) Closed traverse and open traverse ii) Surveyors Compass and Prismatic Compass.
4. What is a local attraction? Which are the methods of elimination of local attraction?
5. Write the Numerical for Calculate the included angles for the closed compass traverse ABCDA run clockwise.
6. Write the Numerical for Determine which of the stations are affected by local attraction and give the values of the corrected bearings.
1. Describe with the neat sketches Principle of leveling .
2. Write the Numerical for In running fly levels Work out the staff readings required for setting the tops of the pegs on the given gradient.
3. Write the Numerical for Reciprocal levelling.
4. Explain reciprocal leveling with its procedure and purpose.
5. Write the Numerical for Determine the ground elevations of both the instrument and elevation of point R.
6. Write notes on Precise leveling
7. Rise and fall method and Plane of collimation method.
8. Define: a) Chainage b) Backsight c) Intermediate sight d) Foresight e) Change point
1. Describe 1) Neat sketches of Characteristics of contours 2) Advantages and disadvantages of plane table survey.
2. What is a planimeter? Explain its construction and working with suitable example?
3. Explain the measurement of volume from spot levels.
4. Calculate the area enclosed between the chain line, end offsets and irregular boundary line by the coordinate method. (Given Tale)
5. Find the true length of line if the cross-sectional area of tape was (Given any Numerical)
6. Write the Numerical for Calculate the volume of earth removed for a piece of borrow pit shown. At the corners, the data mentioned is amount of cut in meters.
7. List the accessories required for Plane Table Survey. Describe the intersection method of plane table survey with its advantage.
8. Write the Numerical for Calculate the area using Simpson’s Rule.
9. Write notes on: (i) Contour Gradient (ii) Methods in PTS
10. Trapezoidal rule and Prismoidal rule.
1. Describe 1) with neat sketches Repetition method 2) The permanent adjustment of a level 3) Procedure of faking bearing of a line with theodolite.
2. Write the Numerical for In a chain and compass traversing following bearings are observed.
Compute (Given Points)
3. State and explain the various miscellaneous uses of a transit?
4. Write the Numerical for Balance the above theodolite traverse by Bowditch’s rule.
5. Write the Numerical for Calculate the missing quantities for a theodolite survey of closed transverse
6. Explain in detail the use of theodolite as a level. OR Explain how the project of theodolite traversing is executed?
7. Write a note on different axes of theodolite and their interrelationships for the instrument to be in perfect adjustment. (Sketch is desirable.)
8. Write short notes on: i) Gale's traverse table. ii) Measurement of horizontal angle by method of Repetition. iii) GTT
9. Initially, a staff was held vertically at a distance. (Given any Numerical). Find RL of Q & dist. PQ.
1. Write the Numerical for Tacheometer has a diaphragm with three cross hairs spaced at a distance and Calculate the tacheometric constants.
(ii) Un-covered random Rubble Masonry
ii) Compound curve
iii) Reverse curve
iv) Vertical curve
You loved it ?
Do you think team brainheaters efforts transformed your studies to a smarter version ? Share your ratings with us !