Bh.Questionbanks | SE-Mech
Brainheaters Questionbanks (Semester Exam) is the collection of handpicked set of questions which are mostly repeated, important and recommended. Learning this set of questions can easily help you top or even just clear the exams. Given below are Expected Questionbanks for semester. To get the solutions to this questions just simply click the Notes and you will be redirected to our notes, Bh.Notes holds your answers. (All Notes are Not Available) !!
1. Evaluate the integral using Laplace transform (Give any Numerical)
2. Construct corresponding orthogonal set. (Give any Numerical)
3. Find Laplace transform of the periodic function (Give any Numerical)
4. Solve the Laplace equation (Give any Numerical) for the following data by successive iterations (calculate first two iterations). (Give Table)
5. Using convolution theorem find the inverse Laplace transform of (Give any Numerical)
6. Solve Exact Differential Equation (Give any Numerical)
1. Determine the analytic function whose real part is (Give any Numerical)
2. State cauchy Riemann equation in polar form. Find (Give any Numerical) is analytic.
1. Evaluate (Give any Numerical) along circle (Give any Value)
2. Using residue theorem evaluate (Give any Numerical)
1. Find complex forms of fourier series of f(x) = (Give any Numerical).
2. Find half range sine series for (Give any Numerical)
3. Find fourier expansion of (Give any Numerical)
1. Using Bender schmidt method solve (Give any Numerical) subject to the conditions (Give any Value or Point to Find)
2. Solve by Crank-nicolson simplified formula (Give any Numerical)
3. Determine the solution of one dimensional heat equation (Give any Numerical)
Under boundary condition (Give any value) being the length of rod.
1. Show that the functions (Give any Value) transform the straight line (Give any value) in the z-plane into Circles in the w-plane.
2. The equations of lines of regression are (Give any Numerical) .
Find (Give any Points to find)
3. Find the coefficient of correlation between height of father and height of son from the following data (Give Table)
1. Write a short note on: 1) Strain hardening. 2) Burger’s vector. 3) Solid solution. 4) Frank Reed source.
2. Derive an expression for critical resolved shear stress. Explain slip mechanism and Twinning mechanism of plastic deformation.
3. What is recrystallization annealing? Discuss the various stages of recrystallization annealing. What are factors affecting it?
4. What are Composites? Give Classification of Composites.
5. Differentiate in between Edge Dislocation and Screw Dislocation.
6. Modes of deformation in materials.
7. How is surface hardening different from case hardening? Discuss any one of the case hardening methods in detail.
8. Find the modulus of the composite in longitudinal direction. (Given; Value) (Given any numerical)
9. What do you understand by Composite materials? Explain their properties and applications.
10. How are dislocations regenerated at Frank Reed Source? Explain with neat diagram.
11. Classify Crystal Imperfections. Distinguish between Edge and Screw Dislocation.
1. Rotating beam fatigue testing machine.
2. Define creep. Explain stages of creep.
3. Derive an expression for Griffith theory of brittle fracture. Also state Orowan’s modification.
4. Define Fatigue. Draw S-N curve and explain its interpretation.
1. Write short note on Transformed Ledeburite.
2. Draw Fe-Fe3C diagram and explain cooling of (Given any Value) alloy in Fe-Fe3C diagram.
3. Join explain construction of Time Temperature Transformation (TTT) diagrams of 0.8 % carbon alloy.
4. Write short note on: 1) Chromising 2) Types of Cast Iron. 3) Allotropic modifications of iron. 4) Importance of Iron as Engineering Material.
1. Write a short note on: 1) Subzero treatment. 2) Normalising. 3) Austempering. 4) Hardenability Test. 5) Retained austenite.
2. What is case hardening? Discuss the process of Nitriding and Cyaniding in detail.
3. Draw and Explain Isomorphous and Eutectic Phase diagram.
4. Explain Flame Hardening and Induction Hardening.
5. Explain Carbusting in detail.
6. What are factors affecting hardenability? Explain Jominy End Quench test.
1. Effect of alloying elements on phase transformation.
2. What are Stainless Steels? Classify Stainless Steels. Discuss and mention their applications.
3. Give classification of Stainless Steel.
4. Describe the cooling of (Given any value) C steel to room temperature. Also find out the proposition of micro-constituents in it at room temperature.
5. Effect of Alloying elements on properties of Steel.
6. Write a short note on Martempering.
1. Write a short note On: 1) Nano materials. 2) MR fluids. 3) Rule of mixtures of composites.
2. What are nanocomposites? Give applications of nanocomposites.
3. What are smart materials? Discuss a few applications for smart materials.
1. Write a short note on: 1) CO2 mould casting. 2) Pattern allowances. 3) Inspection of castings. 4) Transfer machines
2. Describe ten types of casting defects with their remedies.
3. Differentiate the following : i) Pattern and core boxes. ii) Core and core print.
4. What is meant by riser? State the functions of riser.
5. Describe the desirable properties of moulding sand.
6. Determine the dimensions of riser so that its (Given any Numerical)
1. Write a short note on: 1) Friction welding 2) Microstructure of welds 3) Explosive welding 4) Gas cutting Operation.
2. With a neat sketch explain the principle and working of resistance welding process. Also discuss its advantages, limitations, and applications.
3. Differentiate welding, soldering and brazing
4. What is NDT. List various methods of NDT. Explain Ultrasonic method of crack detection.
5. Differentiate between TIG and MIG welding process.
6. With a neat sketch explain Thermit welding operation.
7. Discuss various defects found in welding.
8. Define weldability and describe the factors affecting it.
1. Write a short note on: 1) Extrusion. 2) Tube drawing operation 3) Thread rolling
2. What is meant by forging? Differentiate between closed die forging and open die forging. OR Describe the common types of forging hammers.
3. Describe in detail various rolling defects.
4. Explain vacuum forming process of polymers.
5. Explain rotary swaging with its sketch.
6. Describe Calendering process for plastic with a neat labelled sketch.
7. Differentiate between hot working and cold working processes
8. Define the terms ‘Spread ' . 'Elongation' and ‘Draft ' with respect to rolling process.
1. Compare transfer moulding and compression moulding.
2. Discuss Rotational Molding process with neat sketch.
3. With a neat sketch explain the working principle of plastic injection moulding process.
4. Write short note on application of plastics in industries.
5. Write short note on Blow moulding process.
6. With the help of diagrams discuss the various type of cores used in sand moulding process.
7. Compare thermoplastics and thermosetting plastics
1. Differentiate the following: 1) Shaper and Planner. 2) Lapping and Honing
2. How are Milling Machines classified with a neat sketch? Describe any one Milling Machine 53. 3. 3. Explain centreless grinding operation.
4. Describe types of drilling machines and their application.
5. Describe machining the operations performed on lathe machine
1. State various vertical machining centres . Describe any one in detail.
2. Differentiate between open-loop and closed system in CNC machines
3. Write Short note on following: i) Machine Tools Classification ii) Automatic machines.
1. Draw stress strain curve for ductile and brittle material also Explain factor of safety with the help of stress strain diagram of both.
2. A steel block (Given any value) is subjected to the following forces. (Give any Points). Find the changes in the dimensions of the block and also the change in volume. (Given any Numerical)
3. A steel bar consist of two equal portions. Find the total strain energy of the bar when it is subjected to an axial pull o(Given any Numerical)
4. Establish the relationship between Young's modulus, Modulus of rigidity and Bulk modulus.
5. Derive an expression for the elongation of bar having rectangular section duty with self-weight.
6. A high voltage overhead cable. Find the stresses in each material and extension of the cable.
(Given any Numerical)
7. A short column has a hollow circular cross section of outside diameter (Given any Numerical).
(Given any Points)
8. A bimetallic thermal control shown in Figure. (Given Diagram). Calculate (Given any Points)
9. Define bulk modulus. Derive an expression for Young’s modulus, in terms of Bulk modulus and Poisson’s Ratio.
10. A hollow cast iron column. Determine the safe Rankine load. (Given any Numerical)
1. Establish the relationship between shear force, bending moment and rate of loading in beam.
2. A stepped bar ABCD has the following dimensions : (Given ny Points).
Find the value of ‘P’ for equilibrium and then find the change in length of the bar. (Given Diagram)
3. Draw SFD and BMD for simply supported beam carrying udl (w) over the full span (L).
4. Flitched beam consists of Steel and Timber as shown in figure. Determine the moment of resistance of The Beam. (Given Diagram)
1. For a rectangular cross section of beam, show that the maximum shear stress is (Given any Value) times the average shear stress. Also draw shear stress distribution diagram.
2. Find maximum shear stress developed in the section and draw shear stress distribution diagram.
(Given any Numerical)
3. What do you mean by core of a section? Obtain the core of a hollow circular section.
4. At a point in a material under stress, the intensity of the resultant stress on a certain plane (Given Numerical).
Find (Given Points) (Given Diagram)
5. State the assumptions in the theory of pure bending and derive the formula (Given any Numerical)
6. Draw shears force and bending moment diagrams for the beam. (Given any Numerical)
1. State Torsion Formula and explain the terms involved in it. Give assumptions in the analysis of pure Torsion.
2. Determine the diameter of a solid shaft, which will transmit (Given any Value) and the working conditions to be satisfied are : (Given any Points)
3. Find the maximum power that can be transmitted by (Given any Value) if permissible shear stress for the shaft material is (Given any Value)
4. Internal diameter of a hollow shaft is (Given any Numerical). Find the internal and external diameters of the shaft assuming that the maximum torque.
5. Calculate the strain energy stored in the bar. Find also the extension of the bar. (Given any Numerical)
1. Define Hoop stress and Longitudinal stress in thin cylinder. Derive their formula.
2. Find the circumferential, longitudinal stresses and Maximum shear stress. Find also the changes in diameter, Length and volume of the shell. (Given any Numerical)
3. Find slope and deflection equation for the beam as shown in figure. Determine the deflection at a point where couple 50 kNm is acting. (Given Diagram)
4. A beam has a cross section in the form of an isosceles triangle with the base (Given any Numerical) Also determine shearing stresses at (Given any value)
5. Find slope and deflection at B,C and D for the beam shown in figure. (Given Diagram)
6. Draw SFD and BMD. (Given any Numerical)
7. A simply supported beam, What is the value of safe load W? (Given any Numerical)
1. Find Euler’s crippling load for hollow cylindrical column (Given any Numerical).Also determine Rankine’s crippling load for the same column.
2. Determine the crippling load for a T section having dimensions (Given any Numerical)
3. Find the greatest eccentricity, which the load can have without producing tension on the cross section. (Given any Numerical)
1. Explain thermodynamic equilibrium. What is a quasistatic process and quasistatic equilibrium?
2. Explain critical point.
3. Explain zeroth law of thermodynamics with neat sketch. State its significance.
4. Calculate the available and unavailable energies. Take specific heat of steel as (Given any Numerical)
1. Explain Joule-Thompson Coefficient, state its significance.
2. State the first law for a closed system undergoing a change of state.
1. An inventor claims that his engine has following specifications. (Given any Numerical) Discuss the possibility of the claim.
2. Explain principle of increase of entropy OR Explain heat pump and refrigerator with neat sketch.
3. Three Carnot engines. Calculate intermediate temperatures if amount of work produced by these engines is in the proportions of (Given any Numerical)
4. Find the following for the initial state: Dryness fraction, specific entropy and specific volume, mass of liquid and mass of vapour. (Given any Numerical)
5. Write both the statement of second law of thermodynamics.
6. Prove that entropy is property of system.
7. Determine the heat received from highest temperature reservoir and heat reject to reservoir at
(Given any Numerical)
8. Calculate specific enthalpy and specific entropy of steam at a pressure of 10 bar and having dryness fraction of (Given any Numerical)
9. Define i) Wet Steam, ii) Superheated Steam, iii) Dryness Fraction, iv) Saturated Temperature.
10. State Kelvin-Planck statement and Clausius statement of the second law of thermodynamics.
11. State and prove the Clausius inequality. OR Clausius theorem.
1. Apply steady flow equation on boiler, turbine and nozzle.
2. The power output of a steam turbine is (Given any Numerical)
Compute : (Given Points)
3. Derive the Maxwell Relations.
4. Define: 1) Availability, 2) Dead state, 3) Irreversibility, 4) Enthalpy of combustion, 5) Enthalpy of formation, ) Standard reference state, 7) Dryness fraction, 8) Saturation temperature, 9) Work ratio 10) Specific steam consumption.
5. A diesel engine has compression ratio of (Given any Numerical) Find the air standard efficiency.
6. Explain adiabatic flame temperature OR Explain higher and lower calorific values OR Explain Carnot Theorem with neat sketch.
7. A steam power plant working Rankine cycle uses steam (Given any Numerical). Determine thermal efficiency of the cycle and plot the cycle on T-S chart.
8. Determine the enthalpy of combustion of liquid octane (Given any Numerical) pressure using the following data -
Calculate (Given Points)
1. Calculate the maximum work that can be obtained from air. work that can be obtained from air.
(Given any Numerical)
2. Determine the actual as well as theoretical air fuel ratio. The formula of hydrocarbon is of the form CxHy. Take molecular weight of air (Given any Numerical)
3. Find the index of expansion for polytropic process. (Given any Numerical)
4. Draw a neat diagram of vane type blower and explain its working.
5. Determine the heat transfer in the compressor and the aftercooler. (Given any Numerical)
6. Derive the first and second Tds equations.
7. Draw a neat diagram of Roots blower and explain its working.
8. What do you understand by multistage compression? What are its merits over single stage compression?
9. A single stage reciprocating air compressor (Given any Numerical) Calculate : (Given Points)
1. Derive expression for air standard efficiency of Otto cycle.
2. Explain as how reheating and regeneration in Rankine cycle is beneficial.
3. What are the assumptions made for air standard cycle?
4. Draw p-V and T-S diagrams of Atkinson Cycle and Stirling cycle, state the processes.
5. An engine working on air standard diesel cycle (Given any Numerical) Find (Given Points)
6. What do you understand by mean temperature of heat addition? For a given temperature of heat rejection show how the Rankine cycle efficiency depends on the mean temperature of heat addition.
You loved it ?
Do you think team brainheaters efforts transformed your studies to a smarter version ? Share your ratings with us !